30 Best Workflow Management Software To Boost Efficiency in 2024
Workflow management is an important process to understand, especially in this era of widespread remote and hybrid working. Even more important is workflow management software, the vehicle through which workflows, campaigns, projects and tasks are managed. In this article, we’ll review some the basics of workflow management, learn about the best workflow management tools, and highlight some of the features that every workflow management solution should have.
What is Workflow Management Software?
To kick things off, let’s dig into the definition of workflow management. Workflow management is defined as the coordination of tasks that builds up within a team or organization to complete a larger project. “Workflow” itself is just the broad term for a collection of individual tasks that are completed to achieve a larger goal in process, and the “management” part of the phrase just means that there is someone or something overseeing overall strategy.
A key part of understanding workflow is that it has to be a repeatable process that can happen many times in succession. You can also implement the concept of workflow mapping to better understand these processes and keep improving them. To look a little more into the concept of “workflow” on it’s own, it’s imperative to understand that the three components of workflow are as follows:
- Input – The things you must contribute to start a task.
- Transformation – The things that happen during the task.
- Output – The result of completing the task. An output can also act as the beginning or “input” of another step
For example, if you’re working at Starbucks (who is a Hive customer, by the way), the workflow would be the management of orders and creation of the drinks. The input would be the order, the transformation would be the brewing of the coffee, and the output would be the delivery of the drink to the customers.
Key Components of Workflow Management Software
Now that we’ve covered the basics of workflow and workflow management, let’s talk about the software you need to get it done. Workflow management tools refer to systems that aid in the completion of workflows and oversees repeatable processes from a macro-level perspective.
Here are some of the essential components to look for in a workflow management tool:
- Clearly defined, repeatable processes – Every software needs a way to take a task or project through a process with a rinse-and-repeat nature.
- Macro-level views to monitor progress – To optimize workflows in a workflow management tool, users need to be able to monitor project or campaign progress over time.
- Integrations with other apps – The whole point of a workflow management tool is to make the flow of tasks and projects smooth. This means integrating with existing tools to streamline processes and automate tasks.
- Analytics and reporting features – To continue to iterate on a workflow and process, you need to be able to determine how productive and successful you were, which means you must have a reporting feature in your workflow management tool.
The Best Workflow Management Software
With all of these needs in mind, let’s take a look at some of the best workflow management tools on the market.
Hive is a powerful project management tool used by teams at Google, Starbucks, Comcast and Toyota. In addition to its robust project and task management features, Hive offers several workflow automation solutions to help teams automate repetitive processes and work faster across applications. Here are some key Hive features that can help you manage your workflows more efficiently.
Hive Automate lets you create workflows between Hive and other commonly used work apps. This tool is available to any Hive user and is a great way to streamline your processes, automate repetitive tasks, and ultimately save time. So how does it work?
In Hive Automate, you can build “Recipes” using triggers and logic that lead to desired actions. Recipes are automated workflows that can span across multiple apps. Each recipe comprises a trigger and one or more actions that can be carried out when the trigger event is picked up. Using these different variables, your team can create multi-step workflows utilizing as many different applications as necessary. Take advantage of a growing library of workflow recipes created and shared by our clients, or build your own in a matter of minutes.
Hive’s Workflows application allows users to automate the small, manual, repeatable tasks in Hive. Think of Workflows as your productivity cheat code, custom built to fit your project needs. With an intuitive, language-based workflow designer, it’s easy for anyone to design their own automated Workflows in just a few clicks, no coding necessary.
More Hive features that optimize workflows and help you save countless hours every week:
- Project templates that create defined, repeatable processes for tasks and projects in Hive
- Forms and automation capabilities that easily digest inputs and information.
- Flexible project views including Gantt, Kanban & Calendar to manage projects at macro levels
- Automation capabilities to integrate processes within Hive and across your different work apps
- Robust analytics that can measure real-time progress on a team and individual level.
- Over 1,000 integrations with tools you know and love like Zoom, Slack and Gmail.
Get started for free today to see how Hive is helping thousands of teams work faster every day.
Kissflow is a great project and process management tool built to boost productivity, help teams visualize workflows, define responsibility amongst team members, and keep everyone on the same page inside an organization. Here are a few features that make Kissflow a great option for workflow management:
- Fully customizable forms that help automate and streamline workflow.
- Access control that defines roles and responsibilities across the organization.
- Actionable reports and analytics that provide key insight into overall workflow.
- Integration friendly tool.
ProofHub is a great workflow management tool, built to help teams collaborate and reach deadlines on time. With features like Discussions, you can say goodbye to long email threads and chat as a group on a specific topic. You can also use different views like Kanban, table, Gantt, and calendar view to track workflow and manage your projects. Here are a few additional features that make ProofHub a great workflow management software:
- Easy reviewing and approval of documents with Proofing
- Keep an eye on all activity with Activity Logs
- “Me View” that helps you track all tasks that involve you
Shift is a desktop app that aggregates your email accounts, apps and extensions, streamlining your workflow with an all-in-one browser. Integrate with all of your favorite apps, build customizable workspaces and conquer inbox overload. Shift is the ultimate tool for productivity, download Shift now and find your focus. Seriously, it’s a game changer. Shift lets you:
- Customize your workspace by connecting all of your email accounts and your favorite web app.
- Search across any of your Mail, Calendar or Drive accounts.
- Mix and match your favorite tools to find the perfect workflow.
ProProfs Project is a smart workflow management tool that offers real-time updates of the project life cycle. Manage tasks, subtasks, and deadlines effortlessly on its intuitive dashboard. Enjoy seamless file sharing and be part of discussions anytime, anywhere. The tool helps generate invoices and has an option to customize bills. Further, you can create custom workflows as per your project needs. Team collaboration is a cakewalk with ProProfs. A few additional features that make ProProfs a great option are:
- Automate workflow execution
- Manage cross functional teams
- On the go updates on project development
- Gantt charts, Kanban boards and more
Fluix is a no-code web app designed for industries including construction, energy, aviation, remodeling, and more. Automated data capture and workflow management are the platform’s main solutions. You can first collect data with mobile web forms and then move it through workflows, streamlining operations between distributed teams. Such an automation strategy helps manage field inspections, safety control, equipment maintenance and other business processes involving multiple tasks and performers. Fluix offers:
- Runs on Web, iOS, and Android
- Fillable PDFs and web forms help streamline collaboration between multiple teams
- Drag-n-drop workflow builder lets create steps-based workflows
- Granular role-based access controls what submitters have access to tasks and files
- Integrations with BI tools allow for data export and analysis
Projectsly by 500apps is an emerging project management software, that comes with advanced task management and powerful automation features. The tool is highly useful for remote teams, helping in work collaboration and letting project managers assign and track team tasks, without missing out on critical steps. Projectsly lets you streamline your project planning and manage every aspect of a project from start to finish. Features on Projectsly include:
- Kanban boards to create & track tasks
- Gantt chart to visually track task progress
- Automation to create workflows
- Chrome extension to manage projects from Gmail
ClickUp is a tool that can help you streamline workflows and project plans while managing resources across your team. The simple, visually appealing tool is used by teams all over the world to keep their work on track. There are a few reasons that ClickUp could be the workflow management tool for you, including:
- Automation templates to automate portions of a workflow.
- Project views including Gantt, calendar and timeline view.
- Reporting that allows you to create custom dashboards.
Since joining forces with 10,000 feet, Smartsheet is a great option for managing not only the basics of workflow, but also resourcing across a team. Smartsheet is largely based in an Excel-type format, which helps teams easily envision next steps and action items. A few things that make Smartsheet a great workflow management tool:
- Workflow automation across projects and tasks.
- Flexible project layouts that include Gantt and table view for task visualization.
- Integrations with tools like Microsoft and Google Apps.
- Enhanced resourcing capabilities.
Pipefy is a tool that helps teams request data, execute on tasks, and report successes throughout their projects and campaigns. With their low-code workflow development process, teams across the world have come to rely on Pipefy for their workflow management needs. A few additional things that make Pipefy a great workflow management tool:
- Plug-and-play templates that can help structure overall workflows and processes.
- Custom low-code workflows to streamline work.
- Visibility into workflows from across the organization when needed.
11. ScaleFusion Workflows
Scalefusion Workflows is an intuitive solution that allows IT administrators to automate and schedule tasks, as well as set compliance alerts for managed devices without requiring complex coding or scripting. The tool is available for Android, Windows, and iOS devices that are managed using Scalefusion MDM, providing a versatile solution for managing device workflows.
Additionally, with no coding or scripting required, IT administrators can easily automate job scheduling and set up email notifications, as well as set job execution frequency for maximum efficiency. Some key benefits of Scalefusion Workflows:
- Apply dynamic policies on devices, ensuring that all devices are kept up to date with the latest security protocols.
- No coding or scripting is needed, which means IT admins can focus on more important tasks.
- Fully automated job scheduling, which saves time and reduces the risk of errors.
- Send email notifications to stay on top of any issues that may arise.
- Set job execution frequency to ensure that tasks are performed regularly and in a timely manner.
Airtable is a great option if you’re looking for a workflow management tool because of it’s unique Excel-like framework. This tool is used by teams all over the world, and it’s ability to function as a high-powered spreadsheet has made it a fan favorite for workflow management. A few additional aspects of Airtable that make it a great workflow management tool:
- Ability to create a customizable database for all projects and tasks
- Flexible templates that you can apply to projects
- Grid, calendar, gallery and Kanban view that allow you to view projects in the way that works best for you
- Pre-built apps to level up your experience
Backlog is a great platform that brings project management and code management together in one streamlined place. With Backlog, you and your team can track project progress easily with Gantt and Kanban, utilize the bug tracker to triage any product bugs, and utilize a backlog for team collaboration. A few additional aspects of Backlog that make it a great workflow management tool:
- File sharing capabilities for teams
- Ability to create a team-wide Wiki
- Notifications to alert teammates to pending or updated items
- Mobile application for work on-the-go
Scoro is an all-in-one platform built to help teams get all their work done from one place. This tool is great for workflow management because it provides one single dashboard where you can track real-time progress, and collaborate on the associated tasks. A few additional aspects of Scoro that make it a great option:
- Dynamic dashboards that track real-time results
- Automated flow of business information
- Over 1,000 integrations with other tools
Monday.com is a good option because of its intuitive design and engaging interface. With Monday.com, teams can fully visualize their process and overall flow at both a micro and macro level. You can also view your tasks, projects, and overall workflow at various different levels and views, including list, map, and Kanban board. A few additional features of Monday.com that make it a good tool:
- Dashboards that allow macro-level views of projects
- Integrations with dozens of platforms like Slack and Google Drive
- Automation capabilities
Asana is a high-powered software brought to you by one of the Facebook co-founders. Asana helps teams organize workflows at micro as well as macro levels with a straightforward UI and easy-to-understand features. Asana also has great process management capabilities, including automation. A few more features that make Asana a good option:
- Project overview page with all project details
- Approval routing
- Forms and templates
17. Next Matter
Next Matter is an all-in-one operations platform where teams can capture, visualize, automate, and execute their processes end-to-end. Managers finally getc the operations visibility and performance they need, and teams get rid of the coordination grunt work for good. Here are a few features that make Next Matter a great choice for operations workflow management:
- Rules-based automation for everything, including task assignment, decisions, conditionals, process scheduling, notifications, and more.
- Dashboard overview for status and escalations – no more follow-ups or status meetings required!
- Streamlined collaboration for external users like suppliers, partners, and customers.
- No-code/Low-code, drag and drop process builder that’s incredibly simple to use
18. Process Street
Process Street transforms your team’s recurring processes into interactive, no-code workflows that are stored in a central location. As the modern process management platform for teams, Process Street allows you to create standalone documentation that lives and works side-by-side with your customized workflows. It also seamlessly integrates with Slack, SalesForce, DocuSign, and all your favorite work apps so you can easily manage your tasks with minimal effort. Some of the great features offered are:
- Guest users and permissions to easily collaborate internally and externally.
- Conditional logic allows adaptable workflows that cover a variety of situations.
- Automates your recurring work so you can focus on the important things.
19. NetHunt CRM
NetHunt is a CRM system built inside Gmail that allows salespeople to create automated workflows for the entire buyer journey. With NetHunt, sales teams can immediately generate leads from various sources and trigger an automated sequence of actions – from email sequence campaign to changing pipeline stage, to automated tasks created for the sales team based on the situation. These automations are one of the top reasons why email marketing CRM tools like NetHunt are known to increase the efficiency of sales and marketing teams.
Here are a few features in NetHunt:
- Rule-based automated sales workflows with performance analytics;
- Customizable web forms to generate leads and initiate automated sales workflows after a web form is submitted;
- Integration with third-party tools including LinkedIn, Intercom, Facebook, etc.
- Notifications to the sales team about pending or updated items
Scribe is a documentation tool designed to capture any workflow in seconds. It’s both a browser extension and desktop application that automatically turns processes into a how-to guide, complete with written instructions and screenshots. The tool is easy to implement and can be used to support both remote and in-house teams. A few key features that streamline workflows, strengthen teams, and promote consistency:
- Autogeneration with instant availability and edit options
- Shareability via a link, within a Scribe workspace, or easy embed
- Desktop accessibility for Enterprise plans
- Built-in support with automatic Scribe recommendations
Those are our top 20 picks, but here are a few more!
Miro is an online collaborative whiteboard platform that allows users to present ideas, facilitate meetings, run agile workshops, and collaborate both asynchronously and in real time. Miro’s Template Library offers hundreds of templates, including a Workflow Template that allows tracking project’s status and team’s progress right away. It’s a great tool for remote and hybrid design teams. Miro offers multiple software integrations with apps like Jira, Trello, Zoom, Slack, and others. Here are some of Miro’s key features:
- Infinite canvas
- Pre-build templates
- Mouse-over collaboration
- Embedded video, chat, & commenting
- Visualize tasks and dependencies
Wrike presents its users with a comprehensive workflow system that allows teams to have a seamless experience across organizations. With detailed views of progress utilizing Gantt charts and Kanban boards, and features dozens of pre-made templates for all types of tasks. Prevent file clutter by cross-tagging to make projects and folders accessible in multiple places without being duplicated. Wrike also connects with hundreds of apps to optimize workflows with easy integrations. Being a cloud-based platform, access to data is always available.
- Custom tools for any team enabling great collaboration
- Visibility across departments helps to make better decisions
- Shared team calendars keep everyone on the same page and on time
- Seamless invoice management with available online billing software upgrade
nTask is a great choice when looking to maintain workflow with its task and project management tools that can help your team reach their goals with ease. It packs several useful features to streamline not only your projects, but your team as well with scheduling and employee timesheets.
The application also helps to keep a project’s assets organized with file and document sharing and management. Communication is a breeze with team updates and a chat feature for efficient collaboration. Some of the features that this tool has to offer:
- Task and project management
- Team and meeting management
- Risk management and issue tracking
- Kanban boards and Gantt charts
Nifty is a project management operating system that allows you to track projects with built-in discussions, milestones, automation, time tracking and more. You can create simple to-do lists all the way to full-blown projects with automated progress reporting. There is time tracking for efficiency and smart decision making, as well as reporting with overviews across all projects. Nifty allows you to keep documents and files in an organized hub for each project and customize each project’s home screen to fit your workflow.
The solution offers over 1,000 integrations – including built-in Zoom, Teams, Google video calls, as well as Google Workspace. Other features include:
- Discussions for focused collaboration
- Use Gantt Charts to visualize project milestones
- Tasks to facilitate detailed organizing, prioritizing and managing
- Project Portfolios for better organization and automation
If a company plans to grow, it needs its own handbook. Waybook offers an easy way to start putting one together. Waybook lets you turn your documents, processes, and know-how into effective and organized onboarding, training, and reference materials. The tool allows teams to create, share, and collaborate on Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), job aids, and other important documents, all in one central location, saving time and resources.
The software also offers a comprehensive library of customizable templates and industry-specific policies, allowing you to create and share your unique playbook. This is appealing for teams who don’t have room in their budget for the custom software development cost of building their own internal playbook. Waybook is a valuable asset that can help you streamline processes and increase efficiency.
- Track progress in real-time and ensure SOP compliance
- Intuitive user-friendly interface
- Simple quizzes and complex tests to keep skills sharp
- Audit Log feature to see activity across all content and users
- Customizable branding
Kommo is a workflow management system to help streamline your business operations. It allows its users to work collaboratively on a single platform, no need to switch between multiple apps. The software features a management system which enables you to monitor the complete status of your employee activities. This allows you to organize your team more effectively by setting specific targets and easily track the progress.
- AI automates repetitive tasks
- Integration with dozens of apps
- Ready to use templates and tools for seamless workflow
- Mobile CRM for easy access anywhere, anytime
- Built-in team messaging for quick communication
Offering flexible working hours is one of the benefits of remote and hybrid work, but in order to guarantee that everything runs smoothly it’s crucial that you have a solid time scheduling tool. Agendrix is a scheduling tool that lets you create shift plans with ease. Whether you’re trying to make a rotating shift roster or want to set up a fixed schedule, the tool lets you do it in just a few clicks. Other features in Agendrix:
- Communicate with your team about schedule changes
- Clock in and out from your smartphone
- Automate time tracking to save hours of admin
- Empower employees to have a say in their schedule
28. Adobe Workfront
A good workflow software can be determined by its capacity to streamline processes. That’s exactly what Adobe Workfront delivers. Its project plan templates and standardized status sheets eliminate emails. Its calendar auto-populate feature and integrations help you get your projects to the finish line. Workflont is flexible and accommodates your team’s preferences with various work methodologies, from Agile methods to traditional project management approaches. Its central dashboard facilitates collaboration and improves communication and transparency. A few features to note:
- Scenario planning
- Proofing and approvals
- Reporting and dashboard
Trello is a flexible choice for workflow management known for its simplicity and intuitiveness. Its card-and-board based system provides a clear visual of project progression and tasks, encouraging transparency and helping team members understand their responsibilities better. Each card can contain checklists, attachments, deadlines, and comment threads, allowing for detailed context around each task. Trello’s drag-and-drop interface allows easy task management, and its flexibility lets you configure from simple to-do lists to complex project roadmaps.
Trello also integrates with many popular tools, such as Google Drive, Slack, Jira, and many more. It has built-in automation (Butler) which saves your team valuable time. Trello’s robust notification system ensures that team members are always updated on task changes, due dates, and comments. And whether your team is co-located or working remotely, Trello’s real-time updates and accessibility across devices maintains productivity and keeps your workflows running smoothly.
- “Power-Ups” extend the platform’s capabilities with features like advanced reporting, custom fields, and third-party integrations
- Mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Supports public boards, allowing transparency with stakeholders outside of your team
- Uses color-coded labels for easy categorizing of tasks
Bizagi is a workflow management tool that offers collaborative features for business process mapping. It lets you create and organize your business documentation in a central cloud repository. Bigazi gives project managers the opportunity to understand each step and identify processes that can be improved to increase organizational efficiency. Here are a few features that make Bizagi a great option for workflow management:
- Intuitive process mapping
- Publish diagrams as online interactive PDFs, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel files, or to the web and Microsoft SharePoint
- Import from Microsoft Visio, IBM Blueworks, XPDL, and BPMN
- Powerful Process Simulation
Overall, there are a few key attributes, which we’ve outlined, that make specific softwares ideal for workflow management. Hopefully you’ve been able to identify one from our list that could help your organization stay productive and efficient.