Task Management Software is a useful tool for individuals and teams in the workplace. And as more teams transition to remote work and look for ways to improve collaboration and productivity, task management software is more important now than ever.
But with new products popping up every day, this new age of digital transformation in the workplace can be confusing. How do you know if you need task management software? Should you be choosing a project management tool instead? And what even is the difference between task management and project management anyways?
At Hive, our main goal is to help teams work faster. That’s why we are sifting through the clutter and telling you exactly what you need to know about task management software. Keep reading to learn about the best task management software on the market, so that you can start working faster ASAP.
What is Task Management Software?
By definition, task management software is a digital platform that helps individuals and teams manage their tasks. These are more than just simple to-do-lists. Task management tools allow teams to collaborate digitally by organizing, prioritizing, and assigning tasks to each other.
So what exactly does task management software do? As with most software, there is a range of complexity and technological advancement among different systems. With that being said, typical features include:
- Task scheduling to set deadlines in advance.
- Task customization and editing to update for specific situations.
- Task assignment, which may include internal coworkers, external partners, or both.
- Notifications/Alerts to remind users about upcoming tasks and responsibilities.
- Recurring tasks or templates to standardize repetitive steps in your workflow.
- Sub-tasks or parent tasks to create additional steps within a task.
- Time Tracking to record the amount of time spent on tasks.
- Progress reporting to track current positioning in regards to the overall goal.
- Task organization using tags, labels and channels to group by common team or project.
- To-do-lists for easy task visualization.
Benefits Of Using Task Management Software
Whether you use task management systems as an individual or as part of a team, there are many benefits to your daily workflow. 3 of the top benefits include:
Streamlined workflow. Task management software helps individuals and teams record, assign, and organize all of the processes of a given workflow. This is beneficial because it ultimately reveals where there are redundancies, inefficiencies, and bottlenecks to be fixed.
Improved productivity. Task management software reduces the number of time workers have to spend sifting through information and getting organized. It also helps workers prioritize tasks, stay on top of current responsibilities, and prevent things from slipping through the cracks. When all is said and done, task management software can significantly improve team productivity.
More effective collaboration. How many times have you discussed next steps during a meeting or over the phone, but then you forget to write them down. Or perhaps you have a new due date for a project you’ve been working on, but now you have to individually tell each member of your team. Task management software brings everyone together on one platform, which helps improve communication and ensures that everyone knows what tasks they are responsible for, and when they need to complete them by.
Best Task Management Software & Tools
Hive is an all-encompassing software that helps teams work faster. As a task management tool, Hive can be used by teams of all sizes to manage upcoming tasks, assign work to team members, and collaborate within the platform. In addition to being a great task management software, Hive is used by thousands of teams for project management, remote work, and overall team collaboration. To get started on Hive with a free trial, simply sign up on the website and start your workspace within minutes.
Some features of Hive:
- Create and assign tasks from meeting notes
- Create and assign tasks from emails
- Assign tasks to internal and external users
- Display tasks in 6 different project layouts: Kanban, Gantt, portfolio, calendar, database & summary
- Time-tracking and resourcing
- Upload, organize, and attach files to tasks
- Create repeatable tasks with templates
- Communicate on tasks with comments and tags
Todoist is a leading task management tool that helps people see everything they have to do in one place. It functions as a digital to-do-list, where users can manage tasks and projects, whether for themselves or as part of a team. People like Todoist for its user-friendly interface and mobile app, which make it quick and easy to use on a daily basis as things pop up. Because this software is less comprehensive than other task management tools though, Todoist is best for teams or organizations with simple workflows. For more complex needs like Gantt charts or Kanban boards, we recommend checking out other project management software options.
Some features of Todoist:
- Create subtasks and recurring tasks
- Commenting on projects and tasks
- Favorites for keeping key projects, labels or filters top of mind
- Prioritization levels
- Todoist Karma awards points for completing tasks and maintaining streaks
MeisterTask is a task management software that was designed with agile teams in mind, but it can accommodate teams with many different workflows. This software was made with streamlined features that are meant to be intuitive and user friendly. In the platform, teams use customizable Kanban-style boards to organize tasks and monitor the progress of a project. One of the most appealing aspects is MeisterTask’s free basic plan, which offers limited usability (for an unlimited number of project members) for no cost.
Some features of MeisterTask:
- Varying levels of responsibility with distinction between task “assignees” and “watchers”
- Built in Time-Tracking
- Option to add custom fields to tasks
- Multiple checklists within tasks
- Attach files and images to tasks
- Task relationships and tags
Casual is a visual task management tool that lets you arrange your tasks however you work best. Casual is great for all types of small or growing project-based teams, not just project managers. What’s different about Casual is that they don’t show tasks in traditional project layout views, instead letting users organize tasks how they actually see them in their mind. If you have never worked with visual project management, Casual even has pre-set templates that can help you get started.
Some features of Casual:
- Visual workflow creation
- Task dependencies and grouping
- Assigning tasks and setting deadlines
- Repeatable tasks and projects
- Milestone tracking
Clubhouse is a task management software made specifically for developers. This tool comes with everything developers need to manage their own software project, all buttoned up in an intuitive interface without unnecessary features. Clubhouse makes software development as simple as possible, using integrations with top apps like GitHub, Slack, and Zapier to reduce repetitive tasks and maximize efficiency. This software is ideal for small and mid-sized Agile teams that use a Kanban-style methodology. To give it a try, you can start a free trial on their website.
Some features of Clubhouse:
- Percent-Complete Tracking
- Task import
- Recurring task management
- Parent tasks
- Task board view
Tasklog is a task management software specifically designed for freelancers. Created with typical freelancing functions in mind, this tool helps freelancers manage their daily tasks in one single digital dashboard. Users can create to-do-lists, manage projects, and assign tasks to clients. Tasklog also shows overviews and data insights to help users understand where they are most productive, what they have accomplished, and how they are pacing overall.
Some features of Tasklog:
- Assign tasks to specific time entries
- Online invoicing and expenses
- Client task assignment
- Customizable Pomodoro Timer
- Reporting and insights
While HubSpot isn’t a task management tool per-se, its CRM platform has project and task management capabilities, which are also available in the free plan. If you’re a marketer or a salesperson and you’re looking for an integrated tool, then you might consider HubSpot CRM because of the free marketing, sales, service and, of course, task management tools that are natively integrated.
Once you want to set a task for a contact, simply choose the company, contact or deal in the HubSpot CRM. Click “Create task” and add your details and notes; set a due date; set an email reminder, task type, and task owner (all optional); and then click “Save Task.” Once you’re ready to tackle your open tasks, you have the advantage of all of your contact information, meeting notes and deal stage in one place.
FunctionFox is a task management tool specifically loved by creative professionals at marketing agencies, PR firms, and design teams both large and small. These teams love this software because it was created by an ad agency with very specific needs in mind. This platform is robust enough to support creative teams with the things they need on a daily basis — including creative project management, time-tracking, and resourcing — without additional features that may clutter their workspace. There are various pricing plans, affordably starting at $5 per month per user.
Some features of FunctionFox:
- Multiple layouts including Gantt/timeline, task boards, and list views
- Client collaboration
- Reporting and analytics
Paymo is a comprehensive tool that is especially useful for teams who want to manage tasks, estimate costs, and bill clients all in the same platform. Once you’ve planned out your project and corresponding tasks, simply convert it into an estimate with pre-filled tasks, hourly budgets, and costs. After you send it to your client for approval, you can quickly turn it into an invoice right in the app. Paymo also lets you turn timesheet data into an invoice for clients, so you can stay up to date with payments as the project progresses. Oh and if you’re a freelancer, you can use Paymo for free.
Some features of Paymo:
- Task prioritization levels
- Ability to attach files to any task
- Kanban and Gantt project views
- Invoicing, estimates, and expense management
- Mobile app for both Android and iOS
ProProfs is an easy-to-use tool that lets you manage and prioritize tasks in a centralized space. Maximize productivity with its quick interface and seamless collaborative capability. You can extract deep insights into project status and identify gaps. You can even view your task status on its interactive Gantt charts and track task progress from start to finish. Meet your deadlines faster with task customization and time tracking.
Some features of ProProfs:
- Assign and manage tasks on a centralized dashboard
- Measure task progress effortlessly
- Set task status as open, on-hold, or complete
- Prioritize tasks with simple drag and drop functionality
- Give feedback on each task and subtask
- See team performance with smart reports
Do you have another task management tool that would be a great addition to this list? Let us know in the comments, and check back for updates as we explore more tools and options.